Water damage not only causes physical damage to your home, but it can also adversely affect your health- from skin infections caused by mere contact to difficult respiratory issues and health issues that we should all avoid. Here is why you should never wait to repair any damages for the sake of you, your family, and guests.

11095571 – mold on wall caused by water leak under floor

In the early 2000’s, The Institute of Medicine found that damp environments are linked to cough, upper respiratory tract symptoms, and wheeze in healthy individuals, and it also increases asthma symptoms in asthma sufferers. The sequential mold that often occurs in damp homes also harms the respiratory health in both healthy individuals along with individuals with asthma and sufferers of immune-mediated conditions. A strong link in asthma development in infants and toddlers exposed to mold has also been found by the World Health Organization.

Toxic black mold (Stachybotrys chartarum) releases toxic spores after interaction with insulation, drywall, or flooring that could be moist. Irritated eyes, frequent headaches, nausea and vomiting, and blood in the mucus are various symptoms that point to its presence.

Individuals with a mold allergy are likely to suffer from upper respiratory issues can occur with symptoms such as:
– Scaly, flaking, and dry skin
– Postnasal drip
– Persistent cough
– Frequent sneezing
– Congested or runny nose
– Scratchy throat, nose, and eyes
– Excessive eye moisture

These symptoms can occur year-round or seem to get worse after rain or snow, or in certain times of the year.

Individuals with both asthma and mold allergies may experience the following symptoms:
– Chest tightness
– Coughing
– Shortness of breath
– Wheezing

Make an immediate appointment with your doctor if any of these symptoms worsen or persist,and then schedule a consultation to remedy any mold presence in your home.

By | 2018-01-05T15:51:23+00:00 January 5th, 2018|Water Damage|
Menu Title