Remodeling your home is an exciting time in your life. Stumbling upon asbestos during a remodel, however, is a homeowner’s worst nightmare. Everyone has heard how bad asbestos exposure is for your health. While it can take years for asbestos to cause cancer, the EPA maintains that there is no safe level of asbestos exposure. Here are three major warning signs of asbestos at home that you should never ignore.

1. Your Home Was Built Between 1930 and 1950

Asbestos used to be a common building material. It was easy to mine and cheap to produce. Contractors used asbestos fibers to strengthen concrete and plastics. Asbestos fibers are also flame-retardant, making them perfect for insulation and wiring projects.

For the most part, U.S. construction workers stopped using asbestos in the 1970s, but the damage was already done. If your home was built between 1930 and 1950, there is a high probability that its builders used asbestos.

2. Your Home Has Exposed Insulation

Some homes never need to be inspected for asbestos. The material is only hazardous when damaged or disturbed. That said, if your home contains exposed insulation or any crumbling drywall, you may need a professional to test your home for asbestos.

Exposed insulation can release microfibers of asbestos into the air. Sanding, scraping, water damage and power-stripping worsen the issue. Never proceed with a renovation until you are sure that it is safe.

3. You Feel Shortness of Breath

A little shortness of breath is nothing to worry about. However, repeated respiratory issues could signal asbestos exposure. If you and your family experience repeated shortness of breath, wheezing, coughing and chest pain, see a doctor. These symptoms signal that you might be developing an asbestos-related disease.

Asbestos exposure is a serious problem that can cause heaps of health issues. Quick identification and removal can save both your home and your health. If you suspect your home contains asbestos, call our asbestos removal experts in Arizona today.